Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Samuel Alito

I have been listening to some of the Samuel Alito Confirmation Hearings the last few days on NPR. Although I personally don't want him to be confirmed, I think we should be asking an even more important question. Why should members of the Supreme Court be confirmed for life? Thomas Jefferson suggested that Justices should only serve for 12 years, and I believe that 10 years is sufficient. I got in an argument with a fellow yesterday over this very issue. He told me that what I was saying was an opinion, and that what he was saying was fact. He got a smug expression on his face, when he told me this. However, he almost fainted when I told him that what he thought were facts, were his Personal Opinions also. I try to be nice, but some people make it difficult!

2 comments:

john_m_burt said...

I've run into people who clearly confused opinions (their own, of course) with facts, but never to the extent you have described. That's actually kind of scary.

As for Alito, I don't know why we need to question him any longer. You don't have to eat the whole egg to know it's rotten.

Kris said...

It's good to get you vote of confidence. It can be discouraging dealing with people who think that all their Personal Opinions come from the Burning Bush.